Monday, November 9, 2015

What's creating Today - Defining Me




A friend recently introduced me to someone as an artist.  I was sincerely honored by the characterization, but in fairness to true artists, I had to dismiss the use of the label.  I am far from an artist and my rejection of the use of that term to describe me does not come from a poor self- image but rather an honest assessment of my talents.  I am not an artist!  And while I would truly love to be able to use that word to describe myself someday, the simple truth is that I lack the real talent and skill that I think is needed to be truly called an artist in the traditional sense.
This caused me to think however, on how I would describe myself?  What would be an honest characterization of me and the meager talents that I think I do have?
 



So I picked the most obvious place to start…the dictionary.  First I looked up the definition of the word artist.

Artist - noun art·ist \ˈär-tist\- a person having superior skill or ability in some type of fine art, esp painting, drawing, or sculpture.  A person who displays in his work qualities required in art, such as sensibility and imagination.
 

              Superior skill or ability in some type of fine art – well, that’s definitely not me

                Do I have the work qualities described? 

                Sensibility – maybe
                                      Imagination – I think I have a decent amount of that

 
Then I looked up the word Creative

cre·a·tive - [krēˈādiv]

ADJECTIVE

§  relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work:

§   (of a person) having good imagination or original ideas:

NOUN

§  a person who is creative, typically in a professional context.
 

Good imagination or original ideas – I don’t think I’m too bad on that front

Creative in a professional context – Definitely not me!
 

So in just this short amount of research I think my dismissal in using the term "artist" to describe myself is likely justified.   So then how would I define myself?  

 
If I were to describe myself using the shortest and simplest of terms then perhaps “creative player” is a more accurate label on that point.
 
 
But people are far more complex than this, which makes a simple description very lacking in capturing someone’s true nature.  Our lives are usually much fuller and far more complicated than a simple characterization can convey. 
So here’s the longwinded description of my complicated self.
 I AM … (in no particular order)
 
Blessed with a wonderful family
Creative minded but always striving to be better artistically.
Hopelessly and helplessly in love with my best friend (25 years and going strong), and sad when I have to say goodbye to him every morning.
Completely obsessed with fabric and art quilting
A hockey fanatic (Go Lightning!!!)
A new yogi – and loving it!
A lover of art journaling and postcard swaps
A classic movie junkie  (and must watcher of Hallmark Christmas movies)
Bicycling inclined (I need to find a “I’d rather be cycling bumper sticker”)
A fan of the music and fashion of the 1940’s
Ok about reading but would rather watch TV
Happy to finally have a studio, but sad that I don't get a lot of time to be in it.
I am realistic, stubborn and resourceful.
My mother’s daughter (thanks Mom)
 
 
 
 
Most importantly
 
I am not defined by those around me. 
 
 I am ME and
 
 
 
 
So how would you describe yourself?  Send me an e-mail or leave a comment and let me know how you define yourself.
 
Thanks for reading!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!