Friday, October 15, 2010

What's new at The Loft - Episode 35

Greetings friends,

Fall has arrived in Florida!  It's wonderful to finally be able to open the windows and enjoy the cool nights.  And now that the humidity has seemed to have left the air, it also time to start thinking about some home improvement.  Hubby and I are already looking at projects to fix up the old Loft.  Disappointing though, that as much as we tried it doesn't appear we will be able to work out any kind of studio space for me to work.  My sweet hubby though recognizing my need for storage space donated some of his home office space to accommodate my needs. 

Besides addressing the storage issue, hubby and I are now planning on some redecoration of our living room, along with giving our kitchen some much needed new color.   For us though this is not as easy as it seems.  Picking colors in our house can be a long process.  Our normal process is to first decide on a color and then I go to the local home improvement store and grab tons of paint chips in that color and begin taping them to the walls. We will observe the chips every time we pass them, so we see what they look like in natural and indoor lighting at different times of the day.  Slowly we begin to remove the chips that for whatever reason don't work for us, until we are left with a color we all like. 

This process has worked pretty well for us in the past but for this new home improvement project the thinking, or at least my thinking is to choose more than one color for the kitchen, and have one of the colors be the same for both rooms as we have one wall that carries through from the kitchen to the living room.  Right now our current solution is just a basic cut off point between the different colors of the rooms which hubby and I agree is very unattractive.   Picking one color is a process in itself, but trying to pick more than one which coordinate may prove near impossible.  We'll keep you posted on our progress.


ATC 3.6.5. Challenge

"Where do I get my ideas from", is a question I get asked a lot.  The truth is that I find in several different places.  Sometimes ideas come from the simplest of things or places, or from just playing with the supplies both old and new that I have.  Often times I take inspiration from things I've seen other artists and crafters do.  I always keep a notebook nearby to jot down ideas or flashes of inspiration, but I have to admit there are some days when I just get stuck.  To me those are my worst days as I then force myself to put something together for the sake of "getting it done". 


8/27 "Organic Fashion" - photos from Somerset Life magazine, alpha stickers from Making Memories.











8/28 " Moxie" - Background paper from Graphic 45, rub on from Sassafrass Lass














8/29 "Lucky Lady" - Background paper from Somerset Studio magazine, image and bingo card from Tweety Jill, mini alpha stickers from Making Memories.














8/30 "The Great Escape" - Background image from an Urban Outfitters catalog, epoxy stickers from K & Company.














8/31 "Today I Feel" - This was an emotionally charged day for me so I reflected that in my card for today.  The calendar background image printed from google and inked with Tsukineko terra cotta chalk ink, journaling scraps printed on white cardstock at home then glimmer misted with suede, and edged in walnut distress ink.











9/1 "Who Me" - I saw this image in the Urban Outfitters catalog, and it was perfect.  The title was a perfect fit with the expression on the mans' face.  Mini alpha stickers from Making Memories.














9/2 "Contradiction" - named for not only the contrast of the black and white, but also the contrast of the black and white image against the red background.  The background was painted with red Basics acrylic paint.  Image cut from magazine, definition taken from Websters dictionary.














9/3 "Top Secret" - This was a fun project, and took longer than most of my cards, because it is a lot larger.  Each "file" is cut from an actual file folder, with the contents inside including a picture of me and my family.  The simulated coffee rings was done by taking the cap from a pump style hairspray bottle and using it as a stamp with a sepia ink pad.  Below is one the of pages inside.












Here is the page created for my oldest daughter. This was a great way to have fun, and hopefully make the person looking at the card laugh a little.


9/4 "Best Friends"- Background paper from K&Company, Image from Tweety Jill, mini Alphas from Making Memories.












9/5 "Laugh out Loud" - The title was stamped from a $1 stamp I purchased this day at Michaels.  I found the image in a Delia's catalog, which fit the title perfectly.















That's all I have for today.  Comments are always welcome and appreciated so please feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you thing.  Thanks for stopping by and come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!