Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's new at The Loft Ep. 7

REMINDER: The Tampa Bay Scrapbooking Guild is having it's first general meeting on February 23rd at the Milk & Honey Tea Room, 2092 Busch Blvd., Tampa, FL 33612. We are very happy to have Jill Haglund, CEO and Creative Director of Tweety Jill Publications as the speaker for our inaugural event. The meeting is from 7 - 8:30 PM and costs $5.00. There will door prizes, show & tell and much more. Anyone interested can reserve their spot by calling 813-404-5165 or by visiting http://www.tampabayscrapbookingguild.com/.

To check out some of Jill Haglund's work please visit http://www.tweetyjill.com/.

Exciting News:

I'm so happy and proud to announce that my very talented friend Kelly Boyden, owner of Ensemble Paper Arts has just been chosen to teach at the Donna Downey Inspired Artist Workshop 2010 from May 13 - 15 in Concord, NC.  Kelly is going to be teaching a class for a book she created called Everyday Memories Mini (ideas and memory jogger).   It's the cutest book!! 

I've taken many classes from Kelly and just love her creative spirit and enthusiasm and she's always a source of inspiration for me.  WAY TO GO KELLY!!!!!!   


ATC 3.6.5 Challenge Update:

My card from 2/8 is called "Free Spirit".  I started this card by cutting a background out of a sky blue paper with kites on it by Best Creations, Inc..  I love this paper and have used it to make a few cards already.  Next I detail cut the houses and a tree from some cute Heidi Grace Designs paper and glued them down along the bottom edge of the card.  Next I then detail cut the girl from a page from the 2009 Scrapbooking Daily Calendar and adhered her on top of the houses.  The girl is a lot larger than the houses and by placing her on top of the houses and not showing her full image, it gives the card some dimension and perspective.  I then detail cut the kite from the same paper as the background and adhere it to the upper right edge of the card.  Lastly I stamped out the title using little wood mounted rubber alpha stamps.  I bought this stamp set from Michael's really cheap a long time ago and love them.  The quality of the construction for these little stamps is not great, but for the price I didn't expect them to be.  But I love the font, and they are small enough to keep in my scrapbooking supply kit  C.R. 5.


My card from 2/9 is called "Dance", and I started this card by painting the background with angled lines in red and yellow matte finish Basic acrylic paint.  I made this card kind of quick so I didn't take the time to measure my lines and make sure the radial look was even, but I kind of like the non-uniform look to the background.  While the paint was drying I detail cut the man with the music player from an iTunes gift card.  Since the card was a heavier plastic, I had to use my Tim Holtz scissors on this.  I got these scissors for Christmas and I absolutely love them.  They even cut through 7 Gypsies board with ease.  Once I had my guy cut out I glued him on to the painted background with some Tombow glue.  Finally I stamped the each letter for the title on a different stripe using the same alpha stamps from yesterdays card.  Artistically this was not one of my cleanest efforts but I like the radial background concept and would like to try this again.  C.R. 3.5.



Visual Poetry Photomanipulation 2 with Susan Tuttle - WEEK 2

I've been working on my assignments for week 2 for this class and here are some of what I've done.  With everything that has been going on lately I haven't had an opportunity to go out and take some new photos so I've had to use some of my older photos to work on my assignments.

Assignment one was called Dramatic Still life, in which we had to use fill layers and erasing to highlight the subject.  So for this assignment I chose a close up of an Egret that I took while at Disney's Magic Kingdom park. 
                     

Here's the before shot


And here is the after shot



For assignment 2 this week our project was called flooded with light, and in this lesson we learned how to create a dramatic sunlight effect by using a gradiant fill layer.  For this project I chose a picture I took of some chairs on the beach when we went to Vero Beach, FL a few years ago.

Here is the before photo

I cropped the photo and then after going through the lesson here was my result

Our third assignment this week was called Tinted Grayscale and teaches how to convert a color photograph to grayscale and apply a color tint.  I chose a picture from Disney's Animal Kingdom. 

Here is the before shot.


Here is the after shot.  It's a pretty dramatic change.

Well that's all I have today.  Comments are always welcome so please feel free to drop me a line and let me know what you think  Thanks so much for stopping by and come back soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!