Thursday, April 22, 2010

What's new at The Loft - Episode 21

The whole family back under one roof
We were very glad to be home from our fantastic Spring Break vacation in beautiful Charleston, SC.  I was too tired to go out to my mom's house and pick up our pets on Friday, 4/9 (Thanks mom for taking such good care of them), so I went out and picked them up on Saturday.  They were very happy to see me and I got a great big welcome from my puppy.

Here's some pictures of our pets

Here's our Dog, Diefenbaker.  She was so happy to see me that she started howling


She (yes Diefenbaker is a she) is a Red and White (Blue eyed) Siberian Husky


And here's our boy Nigel.  Isn't he a handsome thing!


We got Nigel from our local Humane Society


ATC 3.6.5. Challenge

I made one more card in honor of our vacation on 4/10 which I called "Once upon a Cupcake" which was made from brochure materials from a great little shop we stopped at in downtown Charleston called Cupcake.  It was a small little show but there cupcakes were so delicious.  My cupcake was called "French Toast" which was a streusel cupcake with maple and cream cheese frosting.  Yummy!



For my card from 4/11 my card is called "In a man's dreams" and was made by starting with a water color ATC card blank stamped the image of the corset on the card.  I then applied the background color using my Neo II watercolor crayons and lightly apply water.  What's I love about watercolor crayons is the control I have over the intensity of color, and they are great for doing large areas of color, but sometimes not so good on smaller areas, which is why I used my Crayola watercolor pencils to color in the corset, adding only a little water.  The intensity with the pencils are not as strong, but they are the next best thing to me.  To bring more intensity to the red I colored on top with a red Gelly Roll pen.  I also used a black Gelly Roll pen for the trim of the corset.  Next I took a red star and clear star Gelly roll pen to add a bit of glimmer to the corset (which didn't carry over to the photo sorry) I then took the word stickers for the title and inked the edges in black Tsukineko chalk ink before placing on the card.  Lastly I used a white Uniball pen to draw a dotted line around the edge of the card for decoration. 

My card for 4/12 is called "Moo" .  I got the idea for this card from my Scrapbook daily calendar.  When I turned over the date for the calendar the paper was one of cows that was so cute I had to use it.  The background was cut from the border of the page and fit together to cover most of the card while the cow was detail cut from the center of the paper for today.  The border was glued down first, but to add a little contrast I cut a strip of cow pattern (black and white strip) from another day's paper and glued down at an angle for more visual interest.  The detail cut cow was adhered down in the center of the card, and then I stamped the word "Moo" with my mini wooden alpha stamp set.

My card from 4/13 is called "Home Sweet Home" and was inspired by a blog posting from Tim Holtz, which I took a little further.  In Tim's post he created a little house using a text paper for the main structure and a bingo card for the roof area.  I did the same but changes some bits and added some embellishment. I'm not much of a artist when it comes to hand drawing anything, but I honestly try to do my best.  And even though things are not perfect I kind of like the charm here of the imperfect.  So once I got the papers glued for the house shape, I added a little white paint wash over the text part of the paper.  While that was drying I added some scallop detail to the roof using a white Uniball pen and a blue Prismacolor marker, and drew a small dormer window.  Once the paint was dry on the lower half, I drew windows and a door on with a black Sharpie and began to add some additional detail.  I drew curtains in the windows and a frame around the door with a mix of blue Prismacolor marker and a white Uniball pen.  I then faux drew some faux brick at the side edges of the card using the same.  For added interest I cut the tiny image of the woman from some Graphic 45 paper and glued her in the window, and detail cut a tree from some scraps of patterned Heidi Grace paper I had laying around.  I then crumpled small pieces of pink tissue paper and glued under the windows to look like flower boxes.  Lastly I glued a button on the door for a door knob.

For 4/14 my card is called "Tired and Unoriginal" which basically reflects my spirit of the day. I was just so tired that day that my creative energy was tapped, which I think my card today clearly  reflects. The background was cut from a magazine ad I found, which was adhered to the card and given a wash of white paint.  The other images were cut from my Tweety Jill "Travel to Paris" collage pack. I then attempted to add (and failed miserably) some added color by using a red metallic Gelly Roll pen on the background.  This was definitely not one of my better efforts.

For 4/15 my card was called "I Only Have Eyes For You" was inspired by this neat photo I found online of a close up of a womans eyes with  Tears on them.  I first printed the photo on a black and white laser printer, but when I went to glue it to the background I noticed the image was too small, so after I glued the image down I inked the edges of the card in turquoise Tsukineko chalk ink.  Next I used a white oil pastel crayon to cover over the entire image to fade the harsh black ink a bit.  I then colored in her eyes with a bright blue oil pastel crayon.  To bring out some detail I used a black Zig marker to redraw her eyelashes and outline the blue in her eyes a bit.  I then used a white Uniball pen to add a hint of sparkle to her eyes, slightly outline the tears.  Lastly I used a clear star Gelly Roll pen to the tips of her eyelashes for a bit of shimmer.  

On 4/16 my card was called "Always Explore" and was inspired by a need for a little peace in my chaotic house.  While looking through a magazine earlier in the day I can across this picture of the lake with the boats which was the perfect size for an ATC, so of course I had to cut it out and use it. 
Next I found this tiny image of a woman walking in a catalog and detail cut her out adhering her to the card.  I then edged the card in midnight blue Tsukeniko chalk ink, and then stamped the tile stamp on the card using black Tsukineko chalk ink.

On 4/17 my card was called "Let's Hang Out" and was inspired by a photo I say in an Urban Outfitters catalog I brought home from Charleston.  The original image had a girl sitting in the chair in a bra and underwear.  Since I hadn't done a magazine painting in a while, I though this one would be a fun one to do.  After I adhered the image to the card blank, I gave the image a very light white paint was, except for around the face.  Using a light pencil I hand drew in a shirt and a mini skirt , which I then painted in blue and green Basic acrylic paint respectively. I then drew in the shoes and painted them blue as well.  I next brought some detail back using a black Zig marker using a darker line on the shirt and shoes but a lighter line on the furniture and curtains.  I then stamped the title using black ink, and then edge the card in turquoise Tsukineko Chalk ink.

My card for 4/18 is called "Love" was inspired by some new clear acrylic stamps I bought on clearance.    I started by taking a blank card and coloring the background using a red Neo II watercolor crayon. I then added additional color to the corners to add a more vignette illusion by dabbing some red Tsukineko chalk ink in.  Next I stamped the card in black ink with the heart/face/love stamp I just purchased.  I then took a Tsukineko "VersaMark" pen and colored in the entire key.  I then embossed the key using gold Stampendous embossing powder and my heat tool.  Last I used my white Uniball pen to add some white dots to the image for more decoration.


Well that's all I have for today.  I hope you have enjoyed your time here.  As always please feel free to send me your comments.  Thanks for stopping by and I hope you come back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!