Thursday, January 28, 2010

What's new at The Loft Ep. 2

Update on our technical issues. Well we've made some progress. All of the right sidebar sections have returned however you have to scroll down very far to see them. Still working on the issue though to get it back to normal. Hopefully it will be fixed real soon. Thanks again for your patience.

REMINDER: The Tampa Bay Scrapbooking Guild is having it's first general meeting on February 23rd at the Milk & Honey Tea Room, 2092 Busch Blvd., Tampa, FL 33612. We are very happy to have Jill Haglund, CEO and Creative Director of Tweety Jill Publications as the speaker for our inaugural event. The meeting is from 7 - 8:30 PM and costs $5.00. There will door prizes, show & tell and much more. Any one interested can reserve their spot by calling 813-404-5165 or by visiting www.tampabayscrapbookingguild.com.


To check out some of Jill Haglund's work please visit http://www.tweetyjill.com

ATC 3.6.5 Challenge Update:

Jan. 27th's card is called "Melancholy Lady". For this card I tried something a little different. I started out by using Gel Medium to adhere some raw unprimed canvas to my card. I then stamped the image of the woman onto the canvas with black Staz On ink. To color in the image of the woman I used my Stencil Collection pastel chalks. The green border was done with Neo II watercolor crayons. Once the watercolor was dry I used a needle to remove some of the fibers from the ends, to give it a frayed look.





What I'm working on now:

I've recently discovered loom knitting and am really loving it. For those of you who have never tried it, here's a picture of what my loom looks like. I have never knitted before in my life and was surprised at how easy and fun it is. I love to sit in front of the television at night and do this. These looms made by Provocraft are called "Knifty Knitters" and they come in different sized rectangle and round shapes. The one I use is a 24 peg rectangle loom, which retails for around $8.00, but I got mine on sale for $4.00.

I had some brown yarn sitting around that I used to try and get the hang of how to knit with this, and I was surprised at how easy it was. I'm sometimes not good with written directions so after reading these I wasn't confident I was doing this correctly. I found some videos on You Tube and to my amazement I was doing it right. So I went to the store and bought some yarn so I could make something fun. I bought this red Lion brand Fun Fur to try and make a scarf with.












Just looking at this yarn would make you think that even an experienced knitter my find working with it a challenge, but I was really impressed at how easy it was to knit with it. Before I knew it I had completed my first scarf.







Unfortunately with my schedule I can't sit and knit a scarf in one sitting, but when I added up the total amount of time I actually worked on this I figured it took me around 4 hours to complete it.





Once I finished the first I was eager to make another so I went out and bought some thicker yarn and this one was even quicker to make. I finished this blue one in about 3 1/2 hours.










Both of these scarves are a little over 5 feet long and were knitted on only 5 pegs up on both sides. However, one thing I noticed is that once the scarf gets longer the weight pulls it down and they get skinnier in the middle. So on the newest one I'm working on I am knitting on 6 pegs up both sides. Again I'm using fun fur, but this one is a little more of a challenge due to the multiple colors in the yarn. This one is a mix of beige, light yellow, moss green and a sort of coppery brown. I have been working on this one intermittently for 2 days (about 2 hours total so far) and by the end of my lunch hour today I was a little shy of 3 feet.


















I've got some new ideas churning in my head so I'm hoping to try some of those out this weekend before I start my Photomanipulation class with Susan Tuttle on Monday. I'll have to sandwich that in between the redecoration project in daughter #1's room. It's going to be a very busy weekend but should be lots of fun.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!